European Year of Volunteering 2011
2011 was designated The European Year of Volunteering by the European Union, with Volunteer Ireland appointed as the National Coordinating Body in Ireland. EYV 2011 was put forward as both a celebration and a challenge. It is a celebration of the millions of people who volunteer in Europe and a challenge to the three-quarters of the European population who do not volunteer, to start.
Aims of EYV2011:
- Work towards an enabling and facilitating environment in Ireland and the EU
- Empower volunteer organisations and improve the quality of volunteering
- Reward and recognise volunteer activities
- Raise awareness on the value and importance of volunteering
- EYV 2011 highlighted why volunteering matters within the community and also on a national and international level.
Hundreds of events, exhibitions, demonstrations and activities took place throughout Ireland during EYV2011, read more about key EYV2011 events in Ireland.