Great Dublin Bike Ride Volunteer Programme
The first Great Dublin Bike Ride, organised by Cycling Ireland is a mass participation bike ride for all abilities - from novice to expert. The Great Dublin Bike Ride takes place on Sunday 13th September with registration for cyclists on Saturday 12th September.
But don't worry, even if you're not a cyclist you can still get involved and have a great day! We are looking for enthusiastic, reliable, safety conscious Event Volunteers. This is a great opportunity for people to have fun, provide support and meet some new people!
Volunteers will meet in Smithfield or Swords and play a vital role in directing up to 2,500 cyclists through the course – and give them a cheer along the way! Volunteers are crucial to the operations of the event, the safety of the participants and the atmosphere of the day. We are recruiting the following roles, please select a role and timing that suits you and your abilities and interests best.
- Event Volunteers Smithfield / Swords on Sunday 13th September - Download Role Descripition (Adobe PDF)
- Cyclists Registration Volunteers
Smithfield on Saturday 12th September - Download Role Description (Adobe PDF)
- Volunteer Support Team
Smithfield / Swords on Saturday 12th / Sunday 12th September - Download Role Descripition (Adobe PDF)
Why volunteer with Great Dublin Bike Ride?
- It’s a great way to enjoy the (late) summer and meet new people
- It’s an opportunity to side to cheer and encourage the 5,000 cyclists
- Supervision by Volunteer Programme Manager and Volunteer Team Leaders
- All volunteers provided with a copy of our Volunteer Policy and must sign the Volunteer Agreement.
- Volunteering can be a good asset to your CV. We provide you with a certificate of participation as a record that you volunteered with us.
- Gain experience in event volunteering and an insight into how large scale outdoor events are managed
- Consider inviting friends and family to join you. Not only does this help us to find the volunteers that we need but it adds to the atmosphere of the event and fun of those involved.
All volunteers will be provided with: training and printed resources in advance. On the ride day you'll get refreshments, an event t-shirt, Hi-Viz bib, sunscreen, as well as the support of Volunteer Ireland staff and Volunteer Team Leaders on the day..
In order to volunteer at the Great Dublin Bike Ride all Event Volunteers must attend one 2.5 hour mandatory Volunteer Training Session as follows:
- Saturday 29 August 10:00 to 12:30 or
- Saturday 29 August 13:30 to 16:00 or
- Wednesday 2 September 18:00 to 20:30 or
- Thursday 10 September 18:30 to 21:00
All volunteer training sessions will take place in Wood Quay Venue, Civic Offices, Wood Quay, D08 RF3F. Interactive map to Training Venue.
Download a map and directions to the Volunteer Training Venue (Adobe PDF)
Volunteer screening and selection
As part of our screening and selection procedures all volunteers are required to provide one form of valid in date photographic ID at the Volunteer Training, this can be a passport, a national identity card or a drivers licence.
The volunteer programme is managed by Volunteer Ireland for Cycling Ireland.
There are two Volunteer Hubs (meetings points) where volunteers can meet on Sunday 13 September, you can select the location via the online when you apply to become a volunteer. The two volunteer hubs are as follows:
- The Smithfield Volunteer Hub is in the Generator Hostel which is located on Smithfield Square, D07 F2VF
- The Swords Volunteer Hub is in the Fingal County Council Offices, Main Street, Swords, K67 X8Y2
Volunteer Ireland are delighted to be an event partner for the inaugural Great Dublin Bike Ride which takes place on Sunday 13th September and will be a flagship event in Ireland for the European Week of Sport (7 - 13th September). The Irish Sports Council, in conjunction with Cycling Ireland has teamed up with the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Dublin City Council and Healthy Ireland for the Great Dublin Bike Ride.